Jazz Trumpet Quotes
- I have to play every day in order to
keep absolute control over my form
- Blow your life through your horn.
- To rise above the crowd, you must
discipline yourself unceasingly to the strict demand and
realities of your ambition.
- I know that I haven't invented
anything myself, that I am only a mixture of countless
influences, and thanks to that I am able to find my own
style of playing.
- It's so important to listen to music,
to listen again and again. Eat, sleep and drink music.
- When I'm home, I practice four or five
hours a day...I warm up for an hour before a gig.
- I believe that regardless of how many
people you've listened to or emulated over the years,
your sound is you and what you really feel inside.
- When I hear Bobby (Shew) I don't hear
his trumpet playing-I can't stand trumpet playing- his
music is what reaches me.
- If I'm called for a job, I perform to
the absolute best of my ability.
- We never blow to the horn. We blow
through the horn. We never blow up to a note, we blow out
- Try not to think of individual notes
or intervals. Listen to phrases and try as hard as you
can to feel the flow of the melody.
- Kids think that being a good trumpet
player is being able to play high. high playing is the
result of being a good trumpet player.
- Let you inner self or feelings flow
through the horn.
- You must be willing and able to play
anything, no matter how absurd it may seem to you, at the
moment of conception, with no consideration of whether it
will be liked or disliked, good or bad, without fear of
- When the lip muscles are working well
for you, stop! Feel them and memorize as best as you can,
- I made real progress once I finally
started to realize that it was possible if I was willing
to take responsibility for the amount of work to be done.
- In my early years, I had weak chops.
One thing I did to build them up was to hold my lip
muscles as tight as possible for as long as possible
until they ached. I would rest and then repeat this many
times, I did this wherever I was, even driving the car.
- There is no such thing as no pressure
- Above all, be patient, For most of us
the upper register and legthened endurance does not come
- The trumpet is an extremely difficult
instrument. It feels and reacts differently to the player
each and every day.
- The more one performs and is heard,
the more likely one will be asked to participate in other
- It is possible to improve your trumpet
sound almost immediately by working on the mouthpiece.
- The main thing is to conserve my
strength and know when to stop before I get to tired. I
like very much to practice in concise segments, very
hard, for short periods of time. It's thanks to this
self-control that I have acquired good endurance.
- Keep in mind that 99% the music and
90% of the money in the professional world is made below
- The most important factor in
developing the high register is desire, the patience to
wait, and the necessary time to acquire it.
- Be in competition with yourself. Only
when you decide to be as good as you can be will you make
- The most negative and problematic
attitude that trumpet students can have is the notion
that progress on their instrument is totally the
responsibility of the teacher.
- I practice things I have a hard time
with. Be honest with yourself and focus on your
- I have to bread out of the shell and
develop my own identity. What I'm trying to do is take
phrases all these cats have assimilated and let it come
out as Jon Faddis.
- The hardest part of playing the
trumpet is the physical act of making the sound.
- Try to find the best teachers, listen
to the finest playing, and try to emulate that. Be true
to the music.